Shamwari Explorer Camp
This unique walking experience is ideal for guests looking for an adventurous and authentic option offering the ambience of a tented bush camp of old Safari lore. The camp is located on a plateau set amongst the only basalt and granite extrusions on Shamwari. A truly magical setting awaits!!
This is a flexible experience for guests to explore Shamwari Game Reserve as we believe that the rigidity of travel needs to be simplified by going back to basics. This explorer camp reflects the original safari of being on foot and sleeping around the fire at night within the comfort of a bush tent.
Guests will enjoy walks through the magnificent Shamwari Game Reserve, whereby their guide will enhance their experience with birding, cultural history and other natural history of the area, along with ample opportunity of some Big 5 encounters.
- The Explorer Camp operates every Friday and Saturday night throughout the year. Sunday night can be added onto the two night stay at the standard rates
- Each trail is 2 nights with a set departure each Friday of the week (Sunday night can be added as an optional 3rd night on request)
- The walking trails are hosted and guided by an armed qualified walking guide
- Distances walked vary each day but can last up to 4 hours
- A game viewing vehicle remains in camp and depending on where guests walk that day, the trail may start from camp or depart camp by vehicle to visit another area of the reserve
- We regret that no persons younger than 16 years or older than 60 years will be able to participate. However, if a medical certificate can be provided via the client or the booking agent, exceptions to this will be allowed.
The camp site is unfenced to provide the true explorer ambience and tents are placed in fairly close proximity without encroaching on another tents privacy. Wild animals are able to cross through the camp at any time and although all safety precautions have been followed in setting up the camp; this remains a reality.
Tents: 3 x Mobile canvas (camping) tents sleeping a maximum of 2 people each
Meals: All meals are prepared and enjoyed under the stars • Ablutions: 1 x Outside shower shared by all guests (water is heated via gas) 1 x Flush toilet shared by all guests
- 2 x Fold out aluminium stretchers with individual duvets and pillows
- 1 x Three tier cupboard (small)
- 1 x LED light for night time use
- 1 x Outside hand basin (warm water is supplied on request or at first light in the morning)
- 1 x Hammock nestled next to amazing rock figs and basalt rocks
- Guest amenities include insect repellent, toilet paper, towels, tissues, sanitary bags as well as shower gel and shampoo
Rates & Booking Conditions
Read more about the Sanbona Wildlife Reserve Explorer Camp
Shamwari Game Reserve, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Sanbona Wildlife Reserve, near Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Jock Safari Lodge, Kruger National Park, South Africa
Nkomazi Game Reserve, near Badplaas, Mpumalanga, South Africa
Nyungwe Forest lodge, Gisakura, Rwanda
Gorillas Nest Lodge, Musanze district, Rwanda
Shamwari Group Explorer Camps & Specialist Guiding
Shamwari Conservation Experience, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Shamwari Group Wildlife Consulting, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Back to top